The clocks have gone back, which means shorter days, longer nights, and even less sunlight! The lack of sun can have an adverse effect on our mental wellbeing, because the pigment in our skin (known as MELANIN) needs the UV rays of the sun to function properly. If we don’t get enough sunlight we may lack energy, feel lethargic, unmotivated, moody, and be prone to sleeping a lot. This is a form of depression known as Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), which is caused by a lack of natural sunlight. We get Vitamin D naturally from the sun’s rays, which helps produce seratonin and gives us the ‘feel good’ factor.
We NEED the sun!
Symptoms of SAD can include:
- A persistent low mood
- Loss of interest or pleasure in normal everyday activities
- Feelings of despair, guilt and worthlessness
- Feeling lethargic (lacking in energy) and sleepy during the day
- Going to bed much earlier than normal yet finding it hard to get up in the morning
- Comfort eating and gaining weight
The main treatments offered by the NHS are:
- Getting as much natural sunlight as possible, exercising regularly and managing your stress levels
- Light Therapy – where a special lamp called a light box is used to simulate exposure to sunlight
- Talking therapies, such cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) or counselling
- Antidepressant medication such as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs)
Colour Therapy Can Help!
Many of us are mis-diagnosed and prescribed SSRIs (antidepressants), when what we really need is a good dose of sun! I intuitively healed myself from SAD using COLOUR THERAPY, which isn’t even mentioned on the NHS website!
In the winter of 2009 I painted some bright, colourful paintings, and after putting them up around the house, I noticed I wasn’t getting my usual symptoms of wanting to stay in bed with the covers over my head, and not wanting to look outside at the grey sky and buildings, and generally feeling ‘under the weather’. The symptoms vanished! You can download my Art and save them to your phone or print them and put them up so you can benefit from the Colour Therapy in them too!
Come Top Up Your Melanin in the Gambia!
I’m now setting up a Retreat Home in the Gambia where I’ll be spending my winters, and you can join me there for The Self Love Retreat, an affordable holiday where you can enjoy Self nurturing workshops, cultural day trips, and a Pamper Day at the luxurious Coco Ocean Hotel and Spa!
This holiday will give you the opportunity to top up your melanin to see you through the rest of the winter, and to reconnect with your Motherland. I’ll be teaching Colour Therapy as one of the workshops, and you’ll return home with something you’ve created that you can refer to whenever you need a pick-me-up, click on the flyer above ☝🏾for details!
Heal Yourself in More Ways than One as You Read…
Order your LIMITED EDITION signed paperback of my Self-help novel Journey of a Sister, which features 9 of my paintings in colour, so you can curl up in bed and benefit from the Colour Therapy in them while you read! Pay just £14.99 which includes FREE shipping worldwide! Click here to pay using PayPal
Hope to see you there!
In your service,